Sunday, January 8, 2017

Heirlooms from Her Heart

Granny, Granny teach me your ways,
let me glean from all your days.
My dear child pull up a chair,
I’ll give you the keys to my hoary hair.


Granny, Granny what about your pies?
How do your meringues reach atop the skies?
My dear child room temperature eggs,
whisk till stopping your arms they will beg.


Granny, Granny what about your crust?
Tell me how you must you must!
My dear child don't handle your dough,
treat it gently and in the pan it will go.


Granny, Granny how do you cream?
Mixing butter and sugar is a child's finger dream.
My dear child beat like the dickens and don't hold back,
the spoon and bowl should make a big smack.


Granny, Granny what about your fudge?
How do I make it and it not look like sludge?
My dear child it needs just the right boil,
soft ball stage avoids all your toil.


Granny, Granny how can I live
without your love and all you give?
My dear child please understand,
one day my soul will leave this land.


Granny, Granny I love you so much,
the sun is out and us it shall touch.
My dear child let's have some tea ,
sit and talk of my secret recipe.


Granny? Granny? How will I…
Granny, Granny why did you die?
I’ll kiss your cheek and say goodbye,
caress your hair and draw you nigh.


Seeds sown in love shall never wilt,
memories on my heart forever strongly built.
Forever heirlooms not replaced,
moments in time never to be erased.

In Memory of my Granny and her unselfish love to pour into me.
She was forthright, determined and in the face of change and dementia she persevered mightily. A tribute to the human will and a tenacious spirit. A survivor of the war and the Depression, a great mother, wife, grandmother and daughter…….a true woman of excellence.





         

No comments:

Post a Comment